Monday 19 October 2015

The One Where The Grandchildren Came To Stay


Hi everyone,

I'm sitting on my bed typing this and I've just looked out of the window and realised just how autumnal it has become....



I do love Autumn. I love the colours and I love walking the dogs and feeling and hearing the leaves crunching underfoot as I trundle along. This is all well and good until the wet weather sets in and then it's not so much fun. Then my car becomes a host for continual wet dog smell which isn't the nicest of aromas. However, while the weather is like it is then I shall embrace it and will walk the dogs to my hearts content๐Ÿถ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

I had a busy couple of days at the weekend as we had three of the grandchildren to stay. As ever, it was a joy to have them here. Their Daddy dropped them off on Friday at teatime and there followed a lovely dog walk, home made pizza for tea and then an hour playing in the shed at the bottom of the garden which I had made into a sort of den. There are a couple of garden chairs in there, an old white plastic table and a rug too. There is a lantern and I have run an extension cable down there so that I can even turn the heater on if I want to.
The children loved it down there and much fun was had. They all wanted to tell ghost stories but then all got a little bit scared as it was very dark by this time! They are all  coming to stay over on Halloween so I think we will be down in the shed again with candles and torches in the dark. It will be fun.



At bedtime on Friday the children announced that they were going to bed and that was it. I got into bed with them at 9pm and literally 5 minutes later they were all fast asleep. I snuck out of bed and had a cup of tea and then went to bed myself in case they got up extra early or got scared in the night. Neither of those things happened. Of course, I didn't sleep very well but they did and it was lovely.

On Saturday, after a breakfast of cocoa pops, I took them along to the local garden centre where there is a Halloween walk and where there is a large area dedicated to all things Christmas. Yes, Christmas!  The Halloween walk was a good idea in principal but, as expected, not all of the children wanted to go through it. Unfortunately I was the only adult there and I couldn't go through with one child and leave the others outside on their own so we gave that a miss. However, they did all enjoy the Halloween shop. Trying on masks was fun!






Obviously, the Christmas shop was a great success. So many baubles and so much tinsel. 
Then we got back in the car and drove the 15 minutes to the beach hut as the weather was favourable. On the way we had to stop at the shop for bread and butter as the children had all requested chocolate toast which has become their favourite food at the hut. Basically, I toast bread over the calor gas cooker and then just smear it with butter and Nutella. Another firm favourite is toasting marshmallows. The shop didn't have any marshmallows but I found a few left over from our previous visit so there was enough for us all to have two each. Happy days.


Seeing the children have so much fun at the beach hut just made me appreciate once again the absolute joy that I and my family get from my 'shed' at the seaside. I really think they love it as much as I do and I hope that we are able to continue making memories there for years to come. 


Anyway, after that the children were taken home by Grandad and I put the house back together๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜Š
After I have had the children I do feel weary and I wonder how I ever managed with four children and a dog of my own but, of course, I was the best part of 30 years younger then. 

That's all for now folks. I'm currently trying to knit a baby blanket which is a labour of love and which is taking me an awfully long time as I'm not the best knitter in the world. I remember Nan knitting us countless pairs of mittens when we were kids and I remember Mum knitting jumpers and cardigans too. My sister is also really good at knitting so I think I missed out on that particular gene. However, I'm nothing if not determined so I will get this blanket done and then a blue one and that  will probably be it but we will see.


Finally, as I type this, one of the kindest, sweetest and most generous people I know is very poorly in hospital. I'm keeping everything crossed that she makes a full recovery ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•
Xxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment